1.24.2012

Postcard Collage

Have you ever envisioned something thinking it was the coolest, most creative idea ever? A moment of brilliance that would awe your friends and family? And... half way through the project you wonder WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS I THINKING! I'm not sure if I love this collage or think it's the tackiest thing ever. Either way, it's done and hanging on my wall. 
Materials Needed: 24"X36" canvas ($13 on sale at Michael's), black spray paint ($1), glue (had on hand), and postcards (collected over the last 23 years-priceless), Modge Podge ($5 with 50% off coupon at Joann's)
1.     Spray paint entire canvas with black paint. Paint edges too. Choose the windiest day of the year to do this first task. (I think half the paint is somewhere floating in our atmosphere).
2.      After paint is dry begin placing postcards on the canvas to get an idea of your layout. Take some pictures and then take a break to think about how awesome your project is going to look when finished
3.      Begin gluing post cards directly to canvas referring to your picture. I used Aileen's Tacky Glue and was not pleased with the results. After doing some research, I think a spray adhesive would work best.
4.       After glue has dried, cover the postcards with a layer of Modge Podge. I put the Modge Podge on too thickly causing the post cards to look wavy.I wonder if another sealant would work better?
5.      Taa Daa!
6.      Begin to realize that taking a few minutes to think about your project would have resulted in a better outcome. Hang it up anyways and think it doesn't look too bad from far away.
Here are some other ideas for displaying postcards.Evidently, I'm not the only one in the world who has moments of brilliance.





No comments:

Post a Comment